Nowadays, I’m spending a lot of time at home and baking is one of the things that keep me busy. Today, I’m going to share with you how I make Anna Olson’s take on probably the most popular veggie cake—carrot cake.
- 2 cups of finely grated carrots
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup of lightly toasted walnuts or nuts of choice (optional)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (measurement for a naked cake, a full cup to frost the entire cake)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix oil, sugar (brown and white), eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl. Stir well until the mixture turned into a white yellow color.
- In a separate bowl, sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in the carrot and incorporate it well into the mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and add in the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- (Optional) Add the nuts to the cake batter. You can also save some for decorations.
- Bake in a lined baking pan for 25 to 30 minutes at 350°F.
- For frosting, beat the cream cheese. Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Frost the cake.
- (Optional) Sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.